Dalai Lama’s emissary in sex, cult scandal
One year ago, news broke of one of His Holiness the Dalai Lama’s personal and close associates being implicated in a financial scandal. Nepali authorities found Phachok Rinpoche to be involved in money laundering, raising funds supposedly intended for victims of the Nepal earthquake but never actually channeling those funds to the supposed recipients. It was not the first time that the Tibetan leadership have been caught and accused of financial mismanagement and embezzlement.
However, what many may not be aware of is that years before this latest scandal, another one of the Dalai Lama’s associates was involved in an equally salacious (if not more so) affair in the United States. And what is worse is, he implicated and risked the Dalai Lama’s reputation in his misdeeds.
The story is a long and complex one but the basic points are these:
- The Dalai Lama’s personal peace emissary, one Lama Tenzin Dhonden, was in the US and wanted to find a way to bring His Holiness the Dalai Lama over and boost his profile
- He connected with two wealthy sisters who were disciples of a man, one Keith Raniere, who has been accused of running a cult. It is said he had already received US$150mil in contributions from them
- Lama Tenzin, an ordained monk, is alleged to have engaged in sexual relations with one of the sisters. They were said to have been caught ‘canoodling’ in a hot tub
- It is said that the sisters then used their connections with him to invite the Dalai Lama to participate an event that would help validate their teacher’s credentials
- They enticed, incentivized and basically bribed the Tibetan leadership into this deal with a US$1mil contribution to the CTA
- Their teacher, Mr Raniere, is so controversial that even his own alma mater did not want to be associated with him. They refused to host the event although it would involve the Dalai Lama. Any venue around the world would fall over themselves to host the Dalai Lama, but this place did not. This should already have set off alarm bells among the Dalai Lama’s advisors but still, they chose to ignore this and press on with the event. What reason would they have, other than because they had gained financially from it and could not bear to lose the donation?
Lama Tenzin with the mother of the heiress he is alleged to have had sexual relations with
As a Tibetan, what is worrisome for me is that:
- It was very clear these were the wrong group to associate with. Still, Lama Tenzin was allowed to propose this event to the Dalai Lama and have His Holiness’ name associated with this controversial group, all in the name of money
- This is not the first time the CTA have abused the Dalai Lama and his name, and sold out his personage out for money, although US$1mil is a very low sum for someone of such importance. What is worse is that they sold the Dalai Lama out to a group who were so controversial, even their teacher’s own alma mater declined to be associated with him
- It is clear that His Holiness the Dalai Lama is receiving very bad advice that is being provided by people who have ulterior motives and are clearly motivated by self-benefit and gain
- This is no different to the 5th Dalai Lama who was surrounded by people who saw it fit to murder a lama they felt rivaled their own teacher in popularity and importance i.e. Tulku Drakpa Gyaltsen who arose as the Dharma Protector Dorje Shugden
- So it is conceivable that the Dorje Shugden ban also arose as the result of incorrect advice, just like how the 5th Dalai Lama was initially given incorrect information about how Tulku Drakpa Gyaltsen died. The Dalai Lama got the wrong information about Dorje Shugden and his adherents, and implemented the illegal and unfair ban due to bad advice
To me, this is a case of history repeating itself but it does not surprise me. People with negative intent and desires for self-gain will always gravitate towards the very top of the government, especially when all of the influence and power is held by a small handful of people.
For this reason I worry for His Holiness the Dalai Lama and for the future of Tibet. When our leaders are given the wrong information and it leads them to make bad decisions, many millions of Tibetans suffer. Some may even say that this is a plot of the Chinese leadership, to introduce such negative thoughts to the Dalai Lama’s decision-making process by ushering ill-informed and self-motivated advisors and ministers towards His Holiness.
Otherwise, what other reason could Lama Tenzin have for associating the Dalai Lama with such a notorious and controversial figure as Keith Raniere?
When you read the three articles below, you will see very clearly that the Dalai Lama was tricked and taken advantage of, and pushed to risk his reputation all in the name of money. Having such advisors around His Holiness therefore is very dangerous for Tibet’s future, and for the welfare of the Tibetan people, and it is something the Tibetan community must wake up to soon and demand for change.
FrankReport.com on Lama Tenzin Dhonden
Click to enlarge. (Source: https://frankreport.com/2016/02/13/should-lama-tenzin-be-defrocked-is-dalai-lama-to-blamed-for-endorsing-keith-while-tenzin-was-sleeping-with-sara-bronfman/)
ArtVoice.com on Lama Tenzin Dhonden
Click to enlarge. (Source: http://artvoice.com/2017/03/01/memory-lane-raniere-bronfmans-lama-tenzin-dalai-lama/#.WbvWKtMjH_R)
VanityFair.com on Lama Tenzin Dhonden
Click to enlarge. (Source: https://www.vanityfair.com/culture/2010/11/bronfman-201011)
MORE NEWS LIKE THIS